Glasgow Clan, sponsored by Aspray Glasgow West, threatened a late comeback, but Guildford Flames took the points as they won 4-2.

The trip to Surrey was always notoriously difficult, but taking on a team vying at the top always looked like a tough test and so it proved to be.

Flames put some early pressure on Shane Starrett in the early stages, while Clan had their own chances, as Colton Yellow Horn and Dyson Stevenson were in among the efforts on Flames.

But the home side were ahead after 13 minutes when good build up played saw Jordan Cownie set up Ian Watters, who slipped the puck under Starrett for the opening goal.

Some level of doubt meant the game officials had to check video review to see if the goal was legitimate and after a lengthy look, decided the goal was fine.

Robert Lachowicz scored the second goal not long after to double the Flames’ lead as they made sure they took their chances.

Clan needed to reset, but by 25 minutes they slipped further behind when a quick forward move saw Watters pick the puck up at the back board.

He saw John Dunbar skating into the central area and the forward dispatched his shot past Starrett to make 3-0.

Clan were in trouble again as Guildford had three quick fire efforts, all of whom needed the visiting goalie in Starrett to be on high alert as he dealt with the threat.

Glasgow finally got on the board late in the second when Colton Yellow Horn rifled one in from the blue line, which took a touch on the way from Mathieu Roy for his third goal in three games.

They managed to get another four minutes into the third period when Yellow Horn set things up again, this time with Brock Beukeboom stabbing from close range to close the gap to 3-2.

Watters got his second with a well taken shot that flew into the Clan net to restore a two-goal cushion with 10 minutes to go.

Despite going for it in the latter stages, it wasn’t to be as Glasgow couldn’t find a way past Flames again as focus now turns to Saturday’s homecoming.